New Life Ayahuasca’s top priority is to conduct safe spiritual ceremonies. Ayahuasca can be very safe when used properly. The primary risk involved in participating in ayahuasca ceremonies is contraindications with prescription medications and other drugs. Ayahuasca contains MAOIs and can thus have negative interactions with some medications or herbal supplements.
As a general rule, New Life Ayahuasca recommends that a participant be off of all medications or supplements and to follow the ayahuasca diet prior to arrival. NEVER STOP TAKING ANY MEDICATIONS WITHOUT FIRST CONSULTING WITH A DOCTOR.
Before making reservations to attend an ayahuasca retreat at our facility, we will conduct a brief medical screening. We do this with every potential participant to ensure the safety of our ceremonies.
Always follow the ayahuasca diet before participation in any ceremony.
Overall, ayahuasca is considered to have positive psychological effects on its users. However, there is the possibility of risk to ones psychological well being if ayahuasca is consumed by participants with certain psychological conditions. Those who suffer from schizophrenia or psychosis should not participate in ayahuasca ceremonies.
High blood pressure/cardiac conditions – It is not recommended that anyone suffering from high blood pressure or cardiac conditions should consume ayahuasca. Ayahuasca is known to elevate blood pressure levels so those who already suffer from high blood pressure or cardiac conditions are at high risk for complications.
Extreme liver disease – Ayahuasca is processed through the liver so if an individual is in advanced stages of liver disease, the added stress could be potentially dangerous.
No Drugs 7 days prior to arrival-
Illegal or recreational drugs that are VERY dangerous to combine with MAOIs:
- Amphetamines (meth-, dex-, amphetamine), ephedrine, MDMA (Ecstasy), MDA, MDEA, PMA
- Opiates (heroin, morphine, codeine and especially opium)
- Dextromethorphan (DXM)
- Nutmeg (at psycho-active levels)
- Mescaline (any phenethylamine)
- 5 MEO-DMT
Medications to Avoid
While it is advisable that no medications be consumed prior to ayahuasca participation so the body is free of outside chemicals and best able to process the medicine, some medications may be taken throughout the ayahuasca retreat. The following are a list of medications to avoid taking prior to participation. NOTE: NEVER STOP ANY MEDICATION WITHOUT FIRST CONSULTING WITH YOUR DOCTOR.
- other MAOIs
- SSRI’s (any selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor)
- antihypertensives (high blood pressure medicine)
- appetite suppressants (diet pills)
- medicine for asthma, bronchitis, or other breathing problems; antihistamines, medicines for colds, sinus problems, hay fever, or allergies (Actifed DM, Benadryl, Benylin, Chlor-Trimeton, Compoz, Bromarest-DM or -DX, Dimetane-DX cough syrup, Dristan Cold & Flu, Phenergan with Dextromethorphan, Robitussin-DM, Vicks Formula 44-D, several Tylenol cold, cough, and flu preparations, and many others — any drug containing dextromethorphan/ DXM or with DM, DX or Tuss in its name.)
- CNS (central nervous system) depressants (xanax, ativan, etc)
For a complete comprehensive list of medications to avoid and more information on Ayahuasca Safety please click here.